To Give or not to Give

This topic is often a trigger for people but it’s something I view differently than others. I whole heartedly believe in giving to the needy which means even giving money to the homeless beggars on the side of the road. Most people I have encountered say, “Don’t give to them. They did this to themselves. They are fully capable of getting a job. They’ll probably just spend the money on drugs or alcohol anyway.” My dad has always given to the poor if he had some extra cash on hand. I responded that way once and he came back with, “You don’t know that! God told us to care for the poor and give of our substance. I do my part but from there, it’s up to them what to do with the money.” I was humbled to say the least. I have tried to give ever since and have even put together homeless care kits when I was a teenager to give to the beggars on the side of the road.

Another passage that humbled me was Mosiah 4:16-19 and 22.
“16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just--
18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?...
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.”

I was rebuked by my father and Heavenly Father...so I have tried my best to not be greedy. The Spirit I feel and the gratitude from those I serve are such a great reward that I couldn’t even imagine withholding of my time and substance from the less fortunate anymore.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with the sentiment here. I was appalled when the news about the Draper community meeting got out where they literally shouted a homeless man off the stage who was trying to explain why a new homeless shelter was needed. However, it doesn't hurt to have awareness of the local situation. I was talking to the Provo Community Development Director who said that they've had police follow many of the homeless people who peddle on Center Street, and that they end up going to crack houses after their "shifts." That being said, we are still obligated to give of our substance and help out. I choose to do that by volunteering at homeless shelters, food banks, offering to buy food for homeless instead, etc. I think we can be responsible without judging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is, we don't know their situation or story. It is so important for us to be kind, no matter what. I have a friend who wanted to help, but didn't want to give money because they never knew what would happen. So, instead, she would pass out bags of carrots. I think that we need to be kind, no matter what. Even if we can't give money or food, the least we can do is give a friendly smile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment