Missionary Winter Survival Guide

Cold. Bone-rattling cold. That is how I would describe the winters in my mission in Montana and Wyoming.  It’s a slap in the face to a missionary from a place like Phoenix, Arizona. I spent two winters up there which is about a year’s worth of snow out of my year and a half. I would get advice here and there from different people who have lived in the snow, but it’s different when you’re a missionary. You’re outside more than the average person and have no choice but to face the weather all the time. So here are a few things that saved my toes and sanity throughout the mission.

  • Keep a quilt and survival kit in your car in case you break down or get stranded in a blizzard. (Trust me. It happens.) Include food, water, candles, matches, a toothbrush and any toiletries you can’t live without. An extra pair of clothes may even come in handy. 
  • Buy the fuzz lined mittens and put hand warmers in them. Gloves separate your fingers and the heat they produce. Mittens keep your fingers together and if you put a hand warmer in there, you trap in heat from them in there too.
  • Don’t skimp on boots. I did and I regret it. Cough up the money if you value your toes and happiness. (Sorels are the best.)
  • Socks are an obvious necessity. Wool socks and “35 Below Socks” (socks with aluminized fibers) will save you. Often time you need to layer them too.
  • Fleece lined leggings. Lots of them.
  • A snow coat that goes passed your torso. Cover as much as you can with your coat while still being dignified.
  • Layers. Beanie. Scarves. Long Johns. Toe warmers. Electric blankets. Anything to cover your body is what you want! 
These are just some ways this Arizona girl came home without frostbite. Hopefully if you’re going out to serve in the frozen tundra like I did or you’re planning a winter trip up in the northlands, these tips will help you!


Comments

  1. I liked reading this post! Every missionary needs a survival guide. The best advice is the shoes and socks! In my mission in Portugal, it was warm but the worst thing I ever did was buy a pair of hiking sandals... completely wrecked my feet from the elements. Sounds like you had a great mission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I love your blog theme. it's super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I grew up in Southern California so I was in extreme culture shock during my first winter on my mission in Iowa. I think I came up with a list very similar to yours! I think one of the hardest parts is that you are constantly outside as a missionary. You have to go knock on doors and talk to people constantly. Which makes for a fun winter experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am from Utah and am pretty familiar with the cold. However, after surviving in 90+ degree weather for two years, coming back to the cold of Utah nearly killed me! I appreciate your tips and I think they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For real haha I served part of my mission in Wyoming (all winter!) It was such a struggle. Love your tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment