My Experience with the Research Paper
My research paper was on the legalization of recreational marijuana in Arizona. It took a lot of time and research on my part and I definitely learned a lot while studying this topic. My brain is just about fried as can be today (the day its due). My roommates are witnesses to the fact that I sat in one chair in our living room for six hours straight one time without getting up. That's a personal record for me because I have self-diagnosed ADHD. I survived, though.
One strategy that helped me write my paper was going to the Writing Center on the main floor of the library. I went three times and reading my paper out-loud and receiving additional opinions from the mentors really helped me improve my paper. It got me thinking differently about the flow, wording, citations (which were SO difficult- I have 17), and everything else.
My goals for my next assignment are to
1. Do more of the writing block strategy Sister Steadman explained. I want to write a certain number of pages a day to better spread out the work.
2. Organize my sources better so I don't feel so scrambled. (Learning how to use RefWorks better might help).
3.Read it out-loud as I write it. I only read it out-loud once I was done and then realized there were lots of rough spots.
Something big I learned was that marijuana damages the brains of adolescents a lot more significantly than adults because teen's brains are still developing into their 20s. This makes me extremely more concerned about youth gaining access to marijuana.
One strategy that helped me write my paper was going to the Writing Center on the main floor of the library. I went three times and reading my paper out-loud and receiving additional opinions from the mentors really helped me improve my paper. It got me thinking differently about the flow, wording, citations (which were SO difficult- I have 17), and everything else.
My goals for my next assignment are to
1. Do more of the writing block strategy Sister Steadman explained. I want to write a certain number of pages a day to better spread out the work.
2. Organize my sources better so I don't feel so scrambled. (Learning how to use RefWorks better might help).
3.Read it out-loud as I write it. I only read it out-loud once I was done and then realized there were lots of rough spots.
Something big I learned was that marijuana damages the brains of adolescents a lot more significantly than adults because teen's brains are still developing into their 20s. This makes me extremely more concerned about youth gaining access to marijuana.
I liked hearing about your experience of going to the Writing Center. I've never been but I want to check it out now!
ReplyDeleteThat is really smart that you went to the writing center so much! I should have taken advantage of that more!
ReplyDelete